EcoCert® is an internationally recognized certification that guarantees the genuine practice of environmental respect throughout the formulation and manufacturing of a product. It is the leading European authority on organic and ecological certification. EcoCert was founded in 1991 in France and is based in Europe but conducts inspections in over 80 countries, making it one of the largest internationally recognized organic certifications in the world. The EcoCert Natural Cleaning Products standard was developed as a way of addressing the inadequacies of official standards in the cleaning product industry, where an ‘innocent until proven guilty’ rule applies to chemicals cleaners.
Ecocert Natural Cleaning Products Standards is committed to:
- Challenging current labeling standards by requiring EcoCert certified products to have clear labeling that ensures transparency in its communications. Currently it is not required by law for cleaning companies to disclose all of their ingredients on the product label, however an EcoCert certification requires this, including percentages.
- Protecting the environment. Manufacturers are required to favour renewable resources over those of other origins and use manufacturing methods that are least harmful to the environment.
- Ensuring that ingredients are of the highest quality and are sourced from the most renewable resources, omitting any petrochemical ingredients that may be included in other “green” products.
What it means for AspenClean products:
- AspenClean products are manufactured in a chemical free environment which prevents chemicals being used to clean the equipment used in the manufacturing process and prohibits the manufacture of other products containing hazardous chemicals
- Our ingredients are cosmetic grade and free from petrochemical surfactants and petroleum bi-products
- All of our ingredients and the percentages in which they are used can be found on the label of our products
- AspenClean products are vegan and have never been tested on animals
- Our products contain only the finest essential oils, known for their therapeutic properties
- AspenClean bottles are made from at least 50% post consumer resin
Ecocert is the choice of European health food stores, who generally have more stringent requirements as to what constitutes a “green” product. Ecocert requirements exceed those of Ecologo and the Green Seal, which allow SLES and ethoxylated alcohols which have been linked to cancer. These certifications also allow petroleum bi-products. There are no set guidelines as to what constitutes a green product and while we commend these other certifications for initiating change, there is obviously still a way to go. This is why AspenClean chose to work with EcoCert to ensure that we continually push our products to be as good for your health, home and the environment as possible.
EWG - The Environmental Working Group
Their analysis revealed that:
- Almost three-fourths of common cleaners contain ingredients that may have worrisome effects on respiratory health.
- More than one-fourth received scores indicating moderate to high health concerns because they contain ingredients or possible impurities that have been linked to increased cancer risk.
- One-fifth of products got scores indicating moderate to high health concern because they have ingredients associated with developmental, endocrine or reproductive harm.
- Almost half of the products were rated “poor” on disclosure because their ingredients are not adequately listed on product labels and company websites.
The AspenClean Difference
The EWG studied 237 bathroom cleaners to assess their safety. Only 4% received an “A”, more than 50% of the cleaners received an “F” rating. Many of these products contained chemical ingredients with proven side effects, including everything from skin irritation to cancer. We are proud to say that every single AspenClean product was deemed “A-level”. In addition to presenting AspenClean with their best rating, the EWG has added our Bathroom Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, Dish Soap and All-in-One Concentrate to their select list of "top-rated" products. We value and appreciate the EWG's continued support of AspenClean products in their mission to promote human health and the environment!
About Leaping Bunny certification: By 1996, 'cruelty-free' shopping had become popular, but it was also confusing, sometimes misleading, and ultimately frustrating. Companies had begun designing their own bunny logos, abiding by their own definition of 'cruelty-free' or 'animal friendly' without the participation of animal protection groups. In response, eight national animal protection groups banded together to form the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC). The CCIC promotes a single comprehensive standard and an internationally recognized Leaping Bunny Logo. The logo serves to clearly label and promote trustworthy, animal-friendly companies.
To achieve Leaping Bunny certification the below conditions must be met. AspenClean is proud of its commitment to cruelty-free, vegan products and of its partnership with Leaping Bunny in the fight for animal protection.
- The Company does not and shall not conduct, Commission, or be a party to Animal Testing of any Cosmetic and/or Household Products including, without limitation, formulations and Ingredients of such products.
- The Company does not and shall not purchase any Ingredient, formulation, or product from any Third Party Manufacturer or Supplier that conducted, Commissioned, or had been party to Animal Testing on said Ingredient, formulation, or product.
- The Company must implement a Supplier Monitoring System
- The Company shall not allow Animal Testing to be performed by or for submission to regulatory agencies in foreign countries
- The Company shall submit the Application for Approval to the CCIC and retain a copy of this document at the Company's principal place of business